How to Find and Change Your Phone IP Address
Every device with internet connectivity has what's known as an internet protocol, or IP, address, which helps networks identify your unique device and connection. Finding your phone IP address is a simple process; there are even ways to change it if the need arises. Changing your IP address can help you utilize location-specific app features, avoid blocks that may be hindering your phone, and protect the security of your data.
What are the Types of IP Addresses?
There are five primary types of IP addresses that every internet-connected device can have:
- Public: This is the number that identifies your specific network and is known as your global IP. Your public IP applies to all devices connected to you, including your laptop, smartphone, and PC.
- Private: A private IP address is device-specific and is used for any communications within a singular network. Each device has its own private IP, allowing private networks and connected devices to identify them quickly.
- Dedicated: A dedicated IP is accessed through a VPN and is assigned to a single user or account. This can help you access specific networks and websites, like ones where the DNS has not been set up.
- Dynamic: A dynamic IP address usually appears through a VPN and changes every time your device connects to the internet. This makes the actions of a user more difficult to track.
- Static: Also accessible through a VPN, a static IP address is shared by potentially thousands of different accounts and does not change. These types of IPs are used for security reasons, obscuring the identity of users who share the same address.
There are also two address sizes for IP addresses, IPv4 and IPv6. An IPv4 is a 32-bit address; due to the smaller size of these protocols, there are a limited number of them worldwide. An IPv6 is a 128-bit address, offering more space and a higher number of potential combinations than an IPv4 address.
How to Find the IP Address of a Phone
If you want to know how to find the IP address of your phone, you'll first have to identify your operating system. An operating system is a program that allows your device to run, managing the software you have installed and making sure the hardware works properly. Like your laptop or desktop, your phone runs its own OS.
Here are the steps to finding your IP on two popular operating systems, Android and iOS.
How To Find The IP Address of an iPhone
To find the private IP address of your android phone, follow the steps listed below.
- Navigate to your settings and select "Wi-Fi".
- Make sure you are connected to a trusted Wi-Fi network, like the one in your home. If you aren’t, tap your Wi-Fi and enter the password to connect.
- Once connected, tap on the name of your network and open its options section.
- Under options, you should find your phone’s IP address under the heading “IPv4 Address”.
How to find the IP Address of an Android Device
To find the private IP address of your android device, follow the steps listed below.
- Open your device settings and navigate to the section labeled “Network & Internet”. From there, select “Wi-Fi”.
- Make sure you are connected to your Wi-Fi network; if you aren't, tap on the name of a trusted network and enter the password to connect.
- Once connected, tap the name of your network and navigate to the “Advanced” section.
- Under the advanced section should be all information related to your IP address. Depending on your version of Android, you may find additional information in the “Network Details" section.
How to Change IP Address on Your Phone
Much like finding your phone's IP address, the steps you'll need to take to change an IP address differs depending on your phone's operating system. Here is the procedure you'll need to follow to change the IP of both Android and iOS phones.
How to Change the IP Address of an iPhone
- Navigate to your iPhone’s settings.
- Select your Wi-Fi network. Make sure you are connected; if not, tap the name and enter your Wi-Fi password.
- Tap your IPv4 Address.
- Select “Configure IP”.
- Enter the IP address you want to change your phone to.
How to Change the IP Address of an Android Device
- Navigate to your phone’s settings section.
- Scroll through until you find a section labeled “Wireless & Networks”.
- Once selected, find your Wi-Fi Network. Make sure you are connected; if not, tap the name and enter your network password.
- Once your phone is connected, click on the network and select “Modify Network”.
- From here, you’ll need to tap “Advanced Options”.
- Under the advanced options will be the option to change your IP address.
Should You Change Your IP Address?
Whether you decide to change your IP is up to you; consider the pros and cons before making a final decision. Changing your IP address is an excellent way to obscure your true identity, which can help you avoid being tracked by cookies and other monitoring programs. You can also pass restrictions in certain areas, like the location-based ones placed by streaming services. Of course, there are drawbacks: some websites may not function properly, and changing your IP or using a VPN may be illegal in some areas.
A Reverse IP Search Can Show You Data Associated with an IP Address
While changing a phone IP address can make finding a specific individual difficult, there are many other avenues you can explore for information. A public records search can show you data about an individual with only a few cursory pieces of information. It's also good to check these databases for your own name to see how much data others can find about you on the internet. This can help you determine what security steps to take and whether simply changing your IP address is enough to protect your identity.