Skip to content
Notice is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and does not assemble or evaluate information for the purpose of supplying consumer reports.

You understand that by clicking "I Agree" you consent to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy and agree not to use information provided by for any purpose under the FCRA, including to make determinations regarding an individual's eligibility for personal credit, insurance, employment, or for tenant screening.

You understand that license plate and VIN searches are only available for a purpose authorized by the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994 (DPPA). The information obtained from our searches is not to be used for any unlawful purposes.

This website contains information collected from public and private resources. cannot confirm that information provided below is accurate or complete. Please use information provided by responsibly.

You understand that by clicking "I Agree," will conduct only a preliminary people search of the information you provide and that a search of any records will only be conducted and made available after you register for an account or purchase a report.

Search Kansas Public Driving Records

Start Your Free Search

Kansas Public Driving Records

The Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) is the government agency responsible for driving records in the state. They operate like a department of motor vehicles (Kansas DMV) in other states. They not only offer driving reports to those who request them, they also handle license renewals, CDL licensing, and all other matters related to a driver's license.

Kansas offers only one type of motor vehicle report for drivers and it is available online during specific times. The system is available 24-hours per day "EXCEPT 4am-5am Monday-Saturday and 4am-2pm Sunday." They do charge a fee for each record.

Driving records in Kansas include the motorists' full name, address, social security number, driver's license number, height, weight, date of birth, eye and hair color, endorsements, restrictions, and sometimes medical information. The report will also include their license status, revocations, suspensions, accidents, civil and criminal offenses and other traffic violations.


How to Request a Kansas Driving History Report

The Kansas Department of Revenue offers a quick driver's license status search where users can look up their license to make sure it is active and legal to drive. To use this tool the driver must have their driver's license number, name, and date of birth. They can also obtain information by phone. The state also has a downloadable form where the person can request their report through the mail.

They also offer another online service where drivers can request a copy of their own driving record. The system is available online 24/7 except for a few small windows when the system is closed. The system will include all residents' information unless they have opted out. These record requests must comply with the federal Driver's Privacy Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. 2721 et seq. (DPPA).

If someone requires a record for someone who has opted out, they must fill out an Acceptable Use Certificate so the state can gauge their eligibility and they must mail that in to:
534 S Kansas Ave., Suite 1210
Topeka, KS 66603-3406
Phone: 1-800-452-6727

There is also a portal where companies can sign up and pay $75/year for bulk reports. This works well for employers or private investigators.


Kansas Motor Vehicle Records Cost

Each driving record search will cost $16.70 even those that return saying that there is no record found. The state does have a way to order a driving report mail. However, someone could also visit a Department of Revenue office in person to obtain a copy also.

When someone orders a record by mail, the cost is $10 for the uncertified record and $15 for a certified copy. They also offer things like vehicle registration records ($10), vehicle title history records ($25), certified title history ($30), and clearance letters ($15).


Driving Laws in the State

A person must be at least 14 years old to apply for a Kansas instruction permit. When applying the driver must provide proof of identity, completion of a driver education program, and submit to a vision test. They must also have permission from a parent or guardian. They can only drive with someone 21 or older sitting in the passenger seat. They must hold an instructional permit for a year before applying for their Kansas driver's license. Once they reach the age of 17, they can apply for their unrestricted license without parental consent. They must have completed 50 hours of supervised driving before obtaining their full license. After that, there are no restrictions on those drivers.

Kansas does not use a point system for demerits on driver's licenses however they do keep track of "moving violations" and too many in a short period of time will result in the loss of a license. For example, 3 moving violations in a 12-month period could result in the loss of a driver's license for up to one year. If someone is convicted of three serious moving violations over 5 years, the state will automatically suspend their license for 3 years and label them a habitual offender. Some examples of serious violations would be:

  • Reckless driving
  • Hit and run
  • Leaving the scene of an accident
  • Driving with a suspended license
  • Evading an officer

If someone loses their license in the state, they cannot apply for a "hardship license" giving them the option to drive during their suspension or revocation. They will have to find other transportation instead.

The most common violation is DUI which carries serious consequences. After a revocation or suspension, the driver must follow specific rules to get their license back. CDL driver's may be penalized more harshly for the same violations.

In some cases, the courts may require the driver to attend a defensive driving or traffic school to get their license back. These violations may also increase the person's auto insurance premiums.

Commercial drivers are subject to even stricter laws and may face harsher punishments and may have a harder time getting insured by insurance companies.


Different Types of Driving Reports in the State

Kansas offers a limited driving record online where anyone can search for limited information about a driver. Then they can order a full certified or non-certified report by mail.

Limited Driver's License Record

Using the online system anyone can search (for a fee) to get limited information for those drivers that have not opted-out of the system. The driving record will include violations, infractions, and convictions. It may also show accident history.

Motor Vehicle Record (certified or non-certified)

The Kansas Department of Revenue also offers a full motor vehicle record along with other types of reports. These will be a full abstract of the driver's history and include all accidents, violations, parking tickets, DUIs, citations, license revocations and suspensions.

Other Reports

The state also offers other types of reports such as a vehicle registration record, vehicle title history, certified title history, vehicle information for dealers, motor vehicle record, certified motor vehicle record, clearance letters, drivers license folders, and certified driver license folders. Each is for a specific purpose and may be purchased at the appropriate rate.


Criminal Driving Offenses

Criminal offenses in Kansas are serious crimes with severe penalties such as fines and jail or prison time. Some examples of the most common criminal driving offenses in the state are:

  • Reckless driving
  • Driving with no insurance
  • Driving with a suspended license
  • Excessive speeding
  • Leaving the scene of an accident
  • Hit and run
  • Vehicular manslaughter
  • DUI

Some of these are considered Class B misdemeanors and the offender could spend up to six months in jail after. A second offense is a Class A misdemeanor which carries a mandatory 5 days in jail before sentencing. With a third offense, that mandatory jail time jumps to 90 days. Fines will be $300, $800 and $1,500 for a first, second, and third offense.


Civil Driving Offenses

Civil driving offenses are far less serious and may only result in a warning/citation or traffic ticket (fine) and sometimes an increase in car insurance rates. Some civil driving offenses in the state are:

  • Speeding (not excessively)
  • Texting while driving ($60 fine)
  • Running through a stop sign or red light
  • Parking in a no parking zone
  • Not wearing a seat belt
  • Failure to yield
  • Broken taillight
  • Illegal modifications to the vehicle

State Driving Records Statistics

The state of Kansas keeps track of driving statistics each year. For the year 2019, some interesting statistics include:

  • 362 fatal car crashes
  • 13,313 car accidents included injuries
  • 50,992 car accidents involved property damage only
  • 142,959 car accident occupants and pedestrians were injured
  • Of those car accident victims who died, 44% were using their safety belts
  • Of those who survived 91.5% were wearing their seat belts

The types of vehicles involved in car accidents total:

  • 52,341 – Cars
  • 16,365 – Pickup Trucks 21,145 – SUV
  • 4,649 – Vans
  • 4,288 – Trucks and Buses
  • 900 – Motorcycles, Motor Scooters, and Mopeds 2,809 – Unknown Vehicle Type
  • 508 – Other

Most of the car crashes occurred:

  • During daylight hours - 62%
  • In good weather conditions - 83%
  • With dry road surface conditions - 79%
  • Not in work zones - 98%
  • Where the road is straight and level - 77%

The top 5 contributing circumstances were:

  • Inattention - 19%
  • Animal - Wild or Domestic - 13%
  • Right of Way Violation - 10%
  • Followed Too Closely - 8%
  • Too Fast for Conditions - 7%

Driving Records Search Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions about state driving records.

Who Can Get a Copy of My Motor Vehicle Record?

Driver records must follow all DPPA laws and therefore only certain people can get a copy of your driving record. Some of those include your legal representative, law enforcement, a government agency, private investigators, insurance agent, researchers, a business in regards to motor vehicle safety, toll companies, someone else with your express permission.

Can I Order a state Driver's License Records Online?

Not exactly. You can go online and use the automated system to look someone's records up however you cannot order a copy online. You must use the specific application form or visit the Department of Revenue to request a copy of someone's records.

How to Get Your License Reinstated

After losing your license you can pay the fee using the Kan-Pay Service Express system and then filing an application with the Division of Vehicles, Driver Solutions Bureau to have your license reinstated. You can pay by credit card or e-check through the system.

What if I Need a Report for Someone Other Than Myself?

Companies can sign up online for $75/year to obtain bulk reports for employees and others for background checks. You will need to have a signed permission slip from the individual when requesting a copy of their record.

Does Kansas Use a Points System for Traffic Violations?

No. However, they do keep track of moving violations and if someone earns 3 in a 12-month period, they will lose their license immediately. More than that and you may be labeled a habitual offender.

Are there any exceptions to one's driving privileges when that person is restricted to only operating a motor vehicle with an ignition interlock device?

Yes. A person who is restricted to operating only a vehicle with an ignition interlock device may operate an employer's vehicle without an ignition interlock device during normal business hours, provided that the person does not partly or entirely own or control the employer's vehicle or business. (K.S.A. 8-1014(h) applies).


Helpful State Driving Record Links

Below are some helpful state driving record links.

Disclaimer: The materials presented here are for informational purposes only. The information is taken from state and local resources, and is current as of the most recent site update. Changes made by state and local departments and agencies after our latest update may render some information and fees outdated, and may cause links to break and forms to be unavailable. Infotracer strongly encourages you to visit the relevant state and local resources to ensure you have the most recent information.