Skip to content
Notice is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and does not assemble or evaluate information for the purpose of supplying consumer reports.

You understand that by clicking "I Agree" you consent to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy and agree not to use information provided by for any purpose under the FCRA, including to make determinations regarding an individual's eligibility for personal credit, insurance, employment, or for tenant screening.

You understand that license plate and VIN searches are only available for a purpose authorized by the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994 (DPPA). The information obtained from our searches is not to be used for any unlawful purposes.

This website contains information collected from public and private resources. cannot confirm that information provided below is accurate or complete. Please use information provided by responsibly.

You understand that by clicking "I Agree," will conduct only a preliminary people search of the information you provide and that a search of any records will only be conducted and made available after you register for an account or purchase a report.

Search Idaho Public Driving Records

Start Your Free Search

ID Public Driving Records

A person's driving history is referred to as a drivers license record (DLR). The Idaho Transportation Department (DOT) is the agency in charge of issuing these records to individuals, employers, and other entities. It is the state's version of a department of motor vehicles (Idaho DMV). They offer a couple of different options for obtaining records. The first is through the mail using their downloadable form. The other is using the online system.

The state offers a few different types of reports. The first is a 3-year report showing the driver's record over that period. The second is a full history report showing all records going back to when they first got their license. They also have non-certified records, certified or photo-only, which is a copy of the person's license usually used by law enforcement. They also offer CDL information if requested.

Typically, driving reports in the state will have the person's name, address, date of birth, Idaho driver's license number, license status, license expiration date, license issue date, and sometimes social security number on it. Idaho Code 49-203 protects personal information by only allowing certain people to access these records. Along with PII (personally identifiable information), these records will also contain civil and criminal driving violations, moving violations, traffic citations, license revocations and license suspensions, medical information, accidents, and any participation in driver service safety programs.


How to Request an ID Driving Report

The state of Idaho makes it easy for employers, government agencies, law enforcement, and individuals to request a copy of their own driving reports. On the Idaho Department of Transportation website, they have a downloadable request form someone can use to order an Idaho motor vehicle report. They need to fill it out, provide a copy of their ID card, and send it in with their payment to Idaho Transportation Department PO Box 34 Boise, ID 83707.

They also have a website where someone can request a copy online by filling out the digital form. A copy of their identification card may be necessary to order. Employers needing multiple records can use another online tool for that. Businesses and other types of organizations can create a dashboard of drivers to monitor for any changes, such as CDL drivers who get into accidents or incur violations.

When requesting a driver report, the user must pay a fee. Each type carries a different cost. Those wishing to pay with MasterCard or Visa will pay more.


ID Driver Record Cost

The DOT offers a few different types of reports. The first is a non-certified report (either 3-year or entire driving history) for $7. Each certified copy is $21. A photo-only copy costs $7.

When paying by credit card, the user will pay an additional 3% in service fees. Requestors can also pay by money order or personal check.


Driving Laws in the State

In Idaho, drivers can obtain a permit at the age of 14 & 1/2 and get a license at 15 (after 50 hours of supervised driving). They need an adult with them and a copy of their birth certificate when applying. However, young drivers are subject to strict rules such as no nighttime driving unless accompanied by someone at least 21 years old sitting in the front seat. Once they reach the age of 16, those restrictions are lifted.

The state has a points system for violations, and each traffic infraction is worth 1-4 points. If someone earns too many points in a short amount of time, the driver may lose their license. Some examples of driving laws and point allocations are:

  • Speeding 1-15 MPH over the limit - 3
  • Speeding 16+ MPH over the limit - 4
  • Starting parked vehicle - 2
  • Limitation on backing - 1
  • Driving upon sidewalk - 3
  • Coasting prohibited - 2
  • Obstruction to driver's view or driving mechanism - 3
  • Stopping when traffic obstructed - 1
  • Drivers to exercise due care - 3
  • Driving through safety zone prohibited - 2
  • Slow moving vehicles - 2
  • Authorized emergency or police vehicles - 3
  • Duty upon approaching stationary police vehicle or emergency vehicle displaying flashing lights - 3
  • Operation of vehicles on approach of authorized emergency police vehicle - 3
  • Following fire apparatus prohibited - 3
  • Crossing fire hose - 1
  • Drive on right side of roadway – exceptions - 3
  • Passing vehicles proceeding in the opposite direction - 2
  • Overtaking a vehicle on the left - 3
  • When passing on the right is permitted - 2
  • Limitations on overtaking on the left - 3
  • Further limitation on driving on left of the center of highway - 3
  • One-way highways - 1
  • Driving on highways laned for traffic - 1
  • Following too closely - 3
  • Turning out of slow-moving vehicles - 2
  • Vehicle approaching or entering the unmarked or uncontrolled intersection - 3
  • Vehicle turning left - 3
  • Vehicle entering highway - 3
  • Highway construction and maintenance - 3
  • Required position and method of turning - 3
  • Limitation on turning around - 3
  • Obedience to signal indicating the approach of train - 4
  • Compliance with stopping requirements at all railroad grade crossings - 4
  • Moving heavy equipment at railroad grade crossings - 3
  • Emerging from alley, driveway, or building - 3
  • Basic rule and maximum speed limits/ CMV failure to slow down at railroad grade crossing - 3-4*
  • Minimum speed regulations - 3
  • Special speed limitations - 3-4*
  • Work zone speed limit - 3
  • School zone speed limit - 3
  • Restricted use of neighborhood electric vehicles on highway - 2
  • Pedestrian's right-of-way in a crosswalk - 3
  • Blind and/or hearing impaired pedestrian has right-of-way - 3
  • Pedestrian's right-of-way on sidewalks - 3
  • Obedience to and required traffic control devices - 3
  • Traffic control signal legend - 3
  • Flashing signals - 3
  • Lane use control signals - 3
  • Stop signs - 3
  • Failure to yield – signed intersections - 3
  • Turning movement and required signals - 3
  • Duty to give information in an accident involving damage to a vehicle - 4
  • Duty upon striking unattended vehicle - 4
  • Duty upon striking fixtures upon or adjacent to a highway - 4
  • Inattentive driving - 3
  • Obedience to traffic direction - 2
  • Driving on divided highways - 1
  • Restricted access - 1
  • Overtaking and passing school bus - 4
  • Racing on public highways - 4

The point penalties in the state consist of:

  • If you earn 8 to 11 points in 12 months, you will be issued a warning letter
  • If you earn 12 to 17 in 12 months, you will lose your license for 30 days
  • If you earn 18 to 23 in 24 months, you will lose your license for 90 days
  • If you earn 24 or more points in 36 months, you will lose your license for six months

CDL drivers (commercial driver's license) may earn higher penalties for the same violations.


Different Types of Driving Reports in the State

The state has three different types of driver reports available. The most common are listed below:

3-Year (non-certified or certified)

A 3-year non-certified or certified driving record will contain the driver's citations, license status, violations (both civil and criminal), and personal information. This report is available to insurance companies, individuals, employers, and other organizations. The certified copy is $21, and the non-certified costs $7.

Entire ID Report

The Entire Idaho Report is exactly the same as above and can be selected in a non-certified or certified version. However, the time frame will be the driver's entire driving history from when they first received their license. This report may work well for employers and CDL licensing.


The photo-only report is for law enforcement officials and not available to employers. This is a photocopy of the person's driver's license. A photo-only report will cost $7 each.


Criminal Driving Offenses

Criminal driving offenses are more severe violations in the state and may earn you steep fines, jail time, and other punishments. Some examples of criminal driving offenses in the state are:

  • Reckless driving - 6 months in jail and $1,000 fine (first offense). A second offense will earn you a $2,000 fine and a year in prison
  • Driving under the influence (DUI/DWI) of drugs or alcohol
  • Not carrying adequate car insurance
  • Vehicular manslaughter
  • Hit and run
  • Inattentive driving - $300 fine and 90 days in jail
  • Driving without a valid license
  • Evading an officer

Civil Driving Offenses

Sometimes called infractions, civil driving offenses usually end up with just a ticket or citation (warning). Civil driving offenses are far less serious and may include things like:

  • Not stopping for a stop sign or red light
  • Speeding (not excessive)
  • Failure to yield
  • Improper U-Turn
  • Illegal lane change
  • Broken taillight
  • Parking in a no-parking zone

State Driving Records Statistics

According to the Idaho Transportation Department, some interesting driving statistics include:

  • The majority of the 91 people killed in crashes were in passenger vehicles. 62 Automobile, 17 Motorcycle, 6 Other (ATV/UTV), 4 Pedestrian, 2 Pedacycle
  • 75 people died in crashes on rural roads, and 16 people were killed on urban roads
  • In the 62 passenger vehicle fatalities, 28 people were not wearing seatbelts
  • Failure to maintain a lane was a contributing factor in 23 fatalities
  • Impairment was a contributing factor in 17 fatalities
  • 13 fatalities involved aggressive-driving behavior
  • 8 fatalities involved inattentive driving

Driving Records Search Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions about state driving records.

Who Can Get a Copy of My Motor Vehicle Record?

Employers (with your permission), government officials, businesses, the courts, law enforcement, and you can get a copy of your own driving history report. Others can as well as long as they comply with DPPA laws.

Can I Order a state MVR Online?

Yes. The state has an online ordering system, but you could also order through the mail by downloading the form.

How do I Get My License Back After a Suspension?

According to the Idaho DOT, "When your suspension, revocation, disqualification, etc., ends, you may get your license back by applying to ITD DMV in Boise and paying a reinstatement fee from $25 to $285 depending on the violation. For certain offenses, a receipt of court payment, proof of child support compliance, proof of school re-enrollment, and or proof of financial responsibility (insurance/SR 22 certificate) may also be required."

What if I Need a Lot of Reports?

Companies and employers who require many reports can use the dashboard portal to sign up for an account and pay for bulk driving reports.

Does Idaho Use a Points System for Traffic Violations?

Yes, and each traffic violation will incur between 1-4 points which will remain on the driver's license until removed.

How Do I Get Points Removed from My License?

Once every three years, a driver may have 3 points removed from their license by taking a defensive driving course (approved by the state and passed). Criminal convictions will not be removed, just the points associated with them.

In addition, drivers can take an approved traffic education safety course (TSC) to remove additional points (1-4) from their license.


Helpful State Driving Record Links

Below are some helpful state driving record links.

Disclaimer: The materials presented here are for informational purposes only. The information is taken from state and local resources, and is current as of the most recent site update. Changes made by state and local departments and agencies after our latest update may render some information and fees outdated, and may cause links to break and forms to be unavailable. Infotracer strongly encourages you to visit the relevant state and local resources to ensure you have the most recent information.