Skip to content
Notice is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and does not assemble or evaluate information for the purpose of supplying consumer reports.

You understand that by clicking "I Agree" you consent to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy and agree not to use information provided by for any purpose under the FCRA, including to make determinations regarding an individual's eligibility for personal credit, insurance, employment, or for tenant screening.

You understand that license plate and VIN searches are only available for a purpose authorized by the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994 (DPPA). The information obtained from our searches is not to be used for any unlawful purposes.

This website contains information collected from public and private resources. cannot confirm that information provided below is accurate or complete. Please use information provided by responsibly.

You understand that by clicking "I Agree," will conduct only a preliminary people search of the information you provide and that a search of any records will only be conducted and made available after you register for an account or purchase a report.

Search Alabama Public Driving Records

Start Your Free Search

Alabama Public Driving Records


Public records include information about a driver and their drivers record. This may consist of parking tickets, citations for running through a stop sign or red light. The report may include more serious infractions or criminal offenses like reckless driving and points on your license.

The state offers two types of record requests, a 3-year record and a driver abstract. The 3-year record contained basic details of every item going back three years. However, the abstract is a complete driver history report with everything.

These records will include criminal offenses such as DUIs, reckless driving, driving without a license, vehicular homicide, fleeing the scene of a crime, and also evading police. Your driving history will also include minor infractions and citations for speeding, parking tickets, illegal U-turns, non-moving violations, car registration with a passed expiration date, traffic accidents, and other moving violations.


How to Request an Alabama Driving Record


You can sign up with the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency to search for and print out driving records online. You also have the option of visiting a local Department of Revenue office and request a copy. You will have to pay a fee for your record, but they accept cash, money orders, credit, and debit cards. You can also use third-party lookup search tools like InfoTracer to quickly and easily search for your records.

The state Department of Revenue acts as the state's department of motor vehicles (aka Alabama dmv) also has a public records portal called MVTRIP, where you can request a copy of your own records or check on an existing order. The entire system is online, and you can pay online, but you must answer some questions and qualify to use the system.

Driving reports may be ordered through the mail using the downloadable request form on the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency's (ALEA) website and paying a fee of $5.75 via credit card (you must call in to pay using the following number: 334.242.4241). You can also order a driving record by visiting a Driver License Reinstatement Office.

ALEA allows businesses to sign up for a subscription so they can pull multiple records on a regular basis. You must pay an annual fee of $75 for this service.


Alabama Driving Record Cost

The cost of a 3-year record is $5.75. That report is basic and will give you an overview of your driving history. You can order one by printing out the application from and mailing it in or dropping it off. You can also get a driver abstract, which is a full driving history report, for $15. Those may only be obtained in person.

You can check vehicle history for free online using the NMVTIS system, which will supply you with basic vehicle information.


Driving Laws in Alabama

In the state of Alabama, a person 15 years or older can apply for a learner permit and then start practicing driving to get their official license. They also need to enroll in driver's education and eventually pay for insurance premiums to ensure their vehicle. The Alabama Department of Public Safety is in charge or policing the roadways and highways. The state has a strict point system with laws regarding speeding, reckless driving, and more serious infractions like DUIs and vehicular homicide. Each infraction is worth a number of points. Once you reach 12 points and go up, you will lose your license for a period of time. The list below shows the number of points and how much time you will lose.

  • 12-14 points in a 2-year period ­- 60 days
  • 15-17 points in a 2-year period ­- 90 days
  • 18-20 points in a 2-year period ­- 120 days
  • 21-23 points in a 2-year period ­- 180 days
  • 24 and above points in a 2-year period -­ 365 days

The following is a list of offenses from ALEA and how many points they will earn you in the state.

  • Speeding (1 to 25mph over speed limit) - 2
  • Speeding (26 or more mph over speed limit) - 5
  • Reckless driving or reckless endangerment involving operating a motor vehicle - 6
  • Failure to yield right of way - 5
  • Passing stopped school bus - 5
  • Wrong side of the road/Illegal passing - 4
  • Following too closely - 3
  • Disregarding traffic control device (stop sign, traffic light, etc.) - 3
  • All other moving violations - 2
  • Inability to control vehicle - 2
  • Improper lane - 2
  • Drinking alcohol while operating a vehicle - 2
  • Admin per se - 6
  • Improper operation of motorcycle - 2
  • Fail to obey construction/maintenance zone markers/flagman/police officer/restricted lane - 3
  • Emergency vehicles - 2
  • Fail to signal/use incorrect turn signal - 2
  • Making improper turn - 2
  • Coasting - 2
  • Unsafe operation - 2
  • Any conviction that resulted from a charge that involved drinking alcoholic beverages and driving a motor vehicle but did not require mandatory revocation of the driver's license - 6

After two years, the points for a traffic conviction will be removed, but the offense will stay on your record. To have points removed from your record, you must complete a safe driver program and pay license suspension fees. The state retains the right to approve or disapprove your reinstatement and points removal.


Different Types of Driving Records in Alabama

Anyone can get a copy of your driving record. Employers often do background checks before hiring, and your driving history may be included. There are a few different types of driving reports in the state.

3 Year Driving Record

Alabama offers a 3-year record, which shows the last three years of driving history. This type of record can only be requested by the individual named on the record. If someone requires this type of record for a background check, you can get one for them and submit it.

Driver Abstract

A driver abstract is a full history of your driving record going back until you first got your license. Again, only the individual named on the driver abstract can request a copy of this record in person.

Motor Vehicle Record (MVR)

A motor vehicle record, however, includes your driving history but also personal information about you. Authorized individuals such as private investigators and employers with an account can request these types of records.


Criminal Driving Offenses

The state has strict laws regarding criminal offenses, and the penalties for committing them will earn you a license suspension, prison time, and even fines. Some of the most common criminal driving offenses in the state are:

  • Reckless Driving - This includes the careless operation of a motor vehicle, driving at high speeds, or a willful disregard for the safety of others. The penalty is 5-90 days in prison and a fine between $25-$500. A second offense will double that, and you will lose your license for six months
  • Driving with a Suspended License - When you drive a car without a license or when yours has been canceled, expired, or suspended, you will be arrested. It is a misdemeanor offense, and you will pay a fine between $100-$500 and spend up to 180 days in jail. You may also lose your license for an additional six months and have to donate to the Traffic Safety Trust Fund
  • DUI/DWI - A DUI falls under reckless driving but is called "wet reckless." It carries the same punishments unless your attorney can plea bargain it down
  • Leaving the Scene of an Accident (Hit and Run) - If you are involved in an accident (even a fender bender) and leave the scene, you may be charged with this crime. If no one was hurt, this is a misdemeanor carrying a fine of up to $6,000 and one year in the county jail. If anyone is hurt or killed, it's a felony, and you will spend ten years in prison and be fined $15,000
  • Eluding Law Enforcement - If you attempt to elude police when they try to pull you over, depending on whether or not anyone is hurt, it may be considered a misdemeanor or felony conviction. You will be fined somewhere between $6000-$15,000, and you could spend up to 10 years in prison and lose your license for two years
  • Homicide by Vehicle - If you cause someone else's death by driving, you will be fined between $500-$2,000. You may also go to prison for 1-5 years

Civil Driving Offenses

Along with the more serious criminal offenses, state law enforces various civil driving offenses as well. These are minor things such as speeding, parking tickets, and illegal U-Turns.

  • Traffic Violations - These types of civil offenses include running a stop sign or red light, illegal U-Turns, and parking tickets. Some other items that fall into this category are driving without car insurance or expired registration, incorrect child restraints, unlawful vehicle modifications, or mechanical violations
  • Speeding –Speeding 1-25mph over the speed limit will cost you 2 points on your license and a ticket. Speeding 26 or more mph over the speed limit will cost you 5 points and $190-$300 in fines
  • Traffic Accidents - Traffic accidents are not usually civil offenses unless they cause injury or death and are not due to reckless driving. If they are, then you may be charged
  • Moving Violations - These offenses include driving on the wrong side of the road, going down a one-way street, and not moving over for emergency vehicles or law enforcement

State Driving Records Statistics

Some interesting state driving record statistics include:

  • In 56% of the fatal crashes in the state, seat belts were not used
  • 49% of fatal car crashes in the state were at night
  • Alabama is #12 in the U.S. for speed-related fatal car crashes
  • DUI's cause five times as many fatalities in crashes
  • 39 distracted driving fatalities occurred in the state in 2018
  • The three most common reasons for fatal crashes in the state are alcohol/drugs, speeding, and no seat belts
  • 40% of DUI victims were seriously injured
  • Friday is the day with the most car crashes in the state, and Saturday is the day with the most fatalities
  • 8% of car crashes involved people between the ages of 15-25
  • The gender of state residents in car crashes - 49% was male, and 44% was female
  • A traffic violation/crash is reported every 3 minutes and 17 seconds in the state

Driving Records Search Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions about state driving records.

What is on the Complete Driver Record?

The information contained on a complete driver record includes the following:

  • Driver's name, address, and phone number
  • Driver's date of birth and social security number
  • License type (CDL/MO)
  • CDL exams and licensing
  • Organ donor designation
  • Special instructions (glasses, etc.)
  • Driver's license number
  • Driving classes, exams, and education results
  • Criminal driving offenses and sentencing
  • Moving and non-moving violations
  • Driver's license suspensions
  • Driver license points
  • License plate number and registration
  • Driving citations (warnings instead of a ticket)
  • Car accidents

What is Adjudication Withheld?

Adjudication withheld means that a person charged with a crime may be sentenced to probation or a court-ordered program, but they are not formally "charged" with the crime. The judge may ask the person to complete a driver education program or safe driving class and then provide the court with the certificate. In these cases, points will not be added to the driver's license by taking the class and satisfying the court. The charge will also not show as a conviction on your criminal record.

Why is Personal Information in the Record Blocked?

The federal and state Driver Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) was designed to protect your personal information in motor vehicle and driving records. This limitation protects you from someone finding out your name, address, and phone number and contacting or harassing you illegally. The items protected by DPPA are your name, social security number, home address, telephone number, photograph, medical information, and driver's license number.


Helpful State Driving Record Links

Disclaimer: The materials presented here are for informational purposes only. The information is taken from state and local resources, and is current as of the most recent site update. Changes made by state and local departments and agencies after our latest update may render some information and fees outdated, and may cause links to break and forms to be unavailable. Infotracer strongly encourages you to visit the relevant state and local resources to ensure you have the most recent information.